I love it when Gibson.com writes about Joan Jett. So I dove in when I saw this article in my Google alerts today:
As you can see in the red box above, this article was updated on Feb 4, 2014 – yesterday. But as I read the article, I could tell it was not new:
- Although the article lists 10 of Joan’s best albums, Unvarnished, her latest, is not included.
- The article “announces” the new Joan Jett Blackheart deluxe Melody Maker, but that guitar has been out of production for a few years.
- All of the comments are four years old.
So why is Gibson updating this now? Could they be planning a re-launch of the Blackheart Melody Maker? I HOPE SO!
Gibson released the original white Joan Jett series Melody Maker in 2008, to the tune of about $850.00. In March of 2010, Gibson launched the Blackheart version, to coincide with the release of The Runaways movie. But this guitar was produced in a far more limited release, and it came with a hefty price tag: $1,533.00. The price is why I bought the white one but not the black one. I regret not buying it, and I wish they would re-release the Blackheart model. I cannot find a used one for sale ANYWHERE.
So why do I suspect that Gibson might actually do this?
- Unvarnished is out – and it debuted in the top 50 of the Billboard 200 chart,
- The article above was “updated” yesterday, AND
- The Blackheart Melody Maker page, despite still listing the guitar as being out of production, now has a “starting at” price–of $899. If they do relaunch the guitar, and keep the price under $1,000, I think they will sell A LOT of these.
Now, all of this may mean nothing, BUT, the white Melody Maker is also out of production, but it’s starting price is listed as “N/A” on the Gibson site. So maybe there is hope for the Blackheart model!
I happen to have a mint 2010 blackheart melody maker. I’ve been trying to find the current value, as I’ve been thinking about downsizing and selling it. Fabulous guitar, I absolutely love the neck, and don’t forget the kill switch.
Do you still have the melody maker you want to sell? If so, contact me.