Holiday shopping season is upon us, Jettheads! If you’re sick of getting Pat Benatar t-shirts from your near-sighted (yet well-meaning) relatives, then send them the link to this post to give them some new ideas for you.
1. Joan Jett. You read that right. For four more days, you can bid on a meet-and-greet with Joan Jett herself that will take place at the October 10, 2009 Jack’s Fourth show in Irvine, California at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. The auction is open until October 8, even though the Unite the United page’s auction widget is saying that it has already ended. You can bid on this and read the rules HERE. The winner will receive two tickets to the show, dinner, a meet-and-greet with Joan backstage, and other goodies. Proceeds from the auction benefit Music Saves Lives.
More Jetthead (and non-Jetthead) gift ideas after the jump.
2. The Joan Jett/Lita Ford and Runaways comics. The “Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics” series was originally published in the early 90’s by Revolutionary Comics, who has collaborated with Bluewater Productions to re-release the entire series as a 10-volume set of graphic novels. Here are excerpts from the announcement (emphasis added)–read the whole thing HERE.
More than seventy biographies of notable bands and rock legends will be published in ten bi-monthly volumes starting in December 2009.
Volume 1: Hard Rock Heroes
Guns N’ Roses; Metallica; AC/DC; Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne; Motley Crue; Poison; Van Halen; Black Crowes; Motorhead; Pantera; Megadeth; Sammy Hagar; Anthrax; Joan Jett/Lita Ford; Skid Row (unpublished RnR Comics #8)
Volume 9: SMASH! A Punk/Alternative Retrospective
Sex Pistols; REM; Jane’s Addiction; Nirvana; Red Hot Chili Peppers; Soundgarden; Alice in Chains; Pearl Jam; Dead Kennedys; Ramones; The Runaways; Iggy Pop/Stooges; MC5; New York Dolls; U2
Note: These biographies were unauthorized, so take them with a grain of salt. I’ll keep an eye out for them and will let you know when they will be published.
3. The Blackheart Records Store has recently added some new items, especially for The Runaways. A lot of the new t-shirts come in both men’s and women’s styles, thank goodness. I’m a girl, I’m built like a girl, and I’m sick of having to wear boxy men’s t-shirts when I want to get my rock on. Blackheart Records gets that. Here’s a few items from the store that I like–click them to go to the order page at blackheart.com:
See more items HERE. Your favorites might be different from mine.
4. More jewelry from Joan’s sister Anne. She also makes non-Blackheart jewelry, which makes this a great gift idea for the non-Jettheads on your list too.
5. Joan Jett t-shirts from wornfree.com. These are recreations of shirts that Joan used to wear in the 70’s. A subtle (if pricey) way to fly your Jetthead freak flag.
6. Freaks and Geeks on DVD. Even if “Bad Reputation” had never been the theme song for this Judd Apatow show, I would still recommend it. Filmed in 1999 and set in 1980, the show was a hysterical look at high school and the meaning of “fitting in.” Despite being filled to the brim with the talent of future superstars Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Seth Rogen, and that guy who showed his penis in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, NBC UNFAIRLY canceled it before the first season had finished airing. If you don’t want to buy it, you can rent it on NetFlix.
7. Craig Ferguson’s book, “American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot.” WTF, you say? Craig doesn’t have anything to do with Joan Jett, does he? Well, to me he does. Joan did the late-night talk show circuit to promote the Sinner CD in 2006, and Craig was the only host that actually TALKED to her after The Blackhearts performed. So I love him now. He has had celebrities read excerpts from his book on his show, and they have all been very funny. AND, although I’m sure he didn’t plan it this way, his book hit stores on Joan’s birthday, 9/22/09.
8. Light of Day on DVD. Yeah, right. In my dreams. I think Amazon has a German LOD DVD, but it’s a region 2 disc and won’t work in region 1 (U. S., Canada) DVD players. Honestly, crappier movies than Light of Day are released on DVD all the time. I can’t imagine why no one thinks LOD is worth it. Don’t diehard Michael J. Fox fans want it too? Grrrr. (Oops, giving gifts is supposed to put me in a GOOD mood. Sorry.)
9. Donate to charity in your loved ones’ names. Who says the holidays always have to be about materialism? If you don’t know which charity someone may like, charitygiftcertificates.org and justgive.org sell gift certificates that let the recipient choose the charities themselves. (Note: Be sure to research any website or charity before donating to make sure it is legitimate and will use the donation to your satisfaction.)
10. Any other ideas?
May I just say that you are doing a wonderful job with this site. It is a beautiful labor of love. On behalf of fellow Jettheads…we humbly thank you. Oh…I just thought of something…didn’t someone post on the message board that JJ wrote something for a Chicken Soup…. book due to come out in November?
Thanks, I appreciate that! Although I bet there are people that think I’m just a weirdo.
The Chicken Soup book, yes!! Darnit, I forgot about that one. It’s Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Story Behind the Song, and it’s due out November 10th. Joan talks about Bad Reputation. Wasted1 told us about that on the message board. Here’s the thread.
Oh, and I just remembered about “The Official Punk Rock Book of Lists” which includes a list containing Joan as one of the top 10 most photogenic punk rockers.
This is a great list and I totally agree about Craig Ferguson. He is very funny.
Here are a few more gift ideas for the Jetthead that has everything.
Wear Your Music Guitar String Jewelry
Stella Marie Soap Company
Crimson and Clover
i-denti-tee – I love rock n’ roll t-shirt
And last, but certianly not least…
A Joan Jett Signature Melody Maker at Gibson.com
Holy crap, Paula, these are great! I have the Melody Maker, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the other stuff. How did you find it all? Thanks so much for posting these!
You’re welcome. I’ve come across these items over a long period of time. Always check the “Turn It Around” section on the Joan Jett and the Blackhearts message board. I usually post my discoveries there:
I thought of one more item that was posted at
in the September news archive.
Royal Flush Magazine
Really nice site you’ve got going here. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Thanks for sharing with all of us!!
Thanks Jeanne. Welcome!